Friday, March 28, 2008

You Smell Good.

As all three of my faithful readers may have noticed, I have a fascination with awkward compliments. I do not know why, but they are an amazing mystery to me; they are an art form. One phrase, which I feel can be deemed both awkward and appropriate (depending on the circumstances, of course) is a simple three word statement: You Smell Good.
I think my largest issue with this statement is the question of the appropriate response. Is it enough to muster out a simple “Thanks”, and let it be done? And what if I don’t think I actually do smell good? Does this need to be reciprocated with a “You do too”; even if I also don’t think they do smell good? Is it possible to simply remain silent for a moment, then change the subject- essentially pretending as though the comment was never said?
What I always want to say is something along the lines of, “Well thanks! I took a shower this morning, and I’m wearing Old Spice deodorant, so that’s probably why”.
Unfortunately, I do not feel as though this response would be socially acceptable, even though remarking on someone’s scent is.

2 comments:

Amanda S. said...

Kenny Bloggins, you've done it again.

Krebscout said...

Hey I wear Old Spice too!

Also, I've been complimented on my eyebrows more than once.